Shipilov A. Yu. Charles Taylor’s interference in the Sierra Leone civil war (based on the documents of the residual special Court for Sierra Leone)
Alexander Yu. Shipilov — Junior fellow researcher at the Laboratory for Institutional Studies of the 20th century, PhD student at the Centre for African Studies, Institute of World History of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Russia, Moscow)
ABSTRACT. The article investigates the role of Charles Taylor (the President of Liberia in 1997–2003 and the head of the National Patriotic Front of Liberia—NPFL ) in the events of the Sierra Leone civil war (1991– 2002) and is based on the documents of the judiciary case devoted to this politician in the Residual Special Court for Sierra Leone. The author addresses the political, military and legal context regarding the appearance of the former head of the Liberian state at court as well as the circumstances of the hearing of this case. He assesses the reasons for the emergence of two various mechanisms of post-conflict justice in Sierra Leone and Liberia after the end of the respective civil conflicts. The article analyzes the source (the materials of the Residual Special Court on Charles Taylor) to attain a broader understanding of ties between the Liberian leader and the Sierra Leonean insurgency forces at various stages, including first of all the Revolutionary United Front (RUF ) and its leaders, convicted at the same court for severe war crimes and crimes against humanity. The author evaluates the amount of Liberian funding that went to the RUF and affiliated structures, diplomatic contacts, the procurement of arms, necessary equipment as well as other war-necessary supplies. He draws additional attention to the immediate participation of Taylor’s NPFL subordinates in the Sierra Leonean conflict as soldiers, advisors, technical specialists and medics.
KEYWORDS: Charles Taylor, Sierra Leone, Liberia, RUF , Residual Special Court for Sierra Leone, war crimes
- Adekeye A. africa’s Peacemakers. l., 2014.
- international criminal court. Gbagbo and blé Goudé case the Prosecutor v. laurent Gbagbo and charles blé Goudé icc-02/11-01/15. url: https://www.icc-cpi.int/cdi/gbagbo-goude (дата обращения: 27.04.2019).
- Johnson-Sirleaf E. this child Will be Great. Memoir of a remarkable life by africa’s first Woman President. n. y., 2009.
- Obi C. economic community of West african states on the Ground: comparing Peacekeeping in liberia, sierra leone, Guinea bissau, and côte d’ivoire // african security. 2009. Vol. 2 (2–3). P. 119–135.
- Republic of liberia truth and reconciliation commission. final report, 2009. url: http://www.pul. org.lr/doc/trc-of-liberia-final-report-volume-ii.pdf (дата обращения: 27.04.2019).
- Residual special court for sierra leone. case no. scsl-2003-01-t. the Prosecutor of the special court V. charles Ghankay taylor, thursday, 26 april 2012 11.00 a.m. Judgement. url: http://www.rscsl. org/documents/transcripts/taylor/26april2012.pdf (дата обращения: 17.07.2019).
- Residual special court for sierra leone. case no. scsl-2003-01-t. the Prosecutor of special court
- V. charles Ghankay taylor thursday, 26 september 2013 11.00 a.m. appeals Judgement. url: http:// www.rscsl.org/documents/transcripts/taylor/26september2013.pdf (дата обращения: 27.07.2019).
- Residual special court for sierra leone. case no. scsl-2003-01-t. the Prosecutor of the special court V. charles Ghankay taylor, Monday, 4 June 2007 10:30 a.m. Prosecution opening statement. url: http://www.rscsl.org/documents/transcripts/taylor/4June2007.pdf (дата обращения: 28.07.2019). residual special court for sierra leone. decision on defence oral application for orders pertaining to the transfer of the accused to the hague. 23 June 2006. url: http://www.rscsl.org/documents/ decisions/taylor/110/scsl-03-01-Pt–109.pdf (дата обращения: 30.07.2019).
- Residual special court for sierra leone. order for the disclosure of the indictment, the warrant of arrest and order for transfer and detention and the decision approving the indictment and order for non- disclosure. 12 June 2003. url: http://www.rscsl.org/documents/decisions/taylor/006/scsl–03– 01-i–004.pdf (дата обращения: 29.07.2019).