Narmaev B. The Role of Bronislav Kuznetsov in the Formation of the Russian Post-War Tibetology
Saint Petersburg, Russian Federation
Download | Go to Issue #4. 2022
ABSTRACT. A brief review of life, scientific and teaching activities of the candidate of philological sciences, associate professor of the Oriental Faculty of the Leningrad State University Bronislav Kuznetsov (1931–1985) is given. His role in the development of domestic post-war Tibetology is clearly underestimated. The teaching of the Tibetan language was restored at Leningrad State University in the mid-1950s. At that time, a graduate student Bronislav Kuznetsov began to study the Tibetan language. Soon Kuznetsov became the official professor of the Tibetan language at the university and held this position for about twenty-five years. Leningrad State University was the only secular educational institution teaching the Tibetan language until the 1990s. In addition to classical Tibetan language, associate professor Bronislav Kuznetsov also taught other Tibetan courses: “Introduction to Tibetan Philology”, “Tibetan literature”, “Tibetan xylographs”, “History of Buddhism”, “Grammar of the Tibetan language”, educated talented students who successfully work in St. Petersburg, Moscow, Buryatia, Kalmykia, in Tuva and abroad, so we can talk about his school. Largely due to his efforts, as well as the work of other Soviet and Russian Orientalists, modern domestic Tibetology occupies a worthy place in world science.
KEYWORDS: Bronislav Kuznetsov, Tibet, Tibetology, Oriental Faculty, Leningrad State University, Buddhism, Bon, Buryatia, Kalmykia, Tuva, Ancient Iran
- Dongak A. S. Chelovek i nastavnik [Person and Teacher]. Mongolika, 2021, vol. XXIV, no. 2, pp. 31–32. (In Russian)
- Garri I. R. Istoriia tibetologii v pis’makh: perepiska R. E. Pubaeva i B. I. Kuznetsova [The History of Tibetology in Letters: Correspondence Between R. E. Pubaev and B. I. Kuznetsov]. Orientalistika, 2019, no. 2, pp. 299–334. (In Russian)
- Kaloianov S. Irano-Tibetica: Some Observations on the Tibetan Bon. The Tibet Journal, 1990, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 77–82.
- Kuznetsov B. I. Tibetskaia letopis’ “Svetloe zertsalo tsarskikh rodoslovnykh” [Tibetan Chronicle “The Clear Mirror of Royal Genealogies”]. Leningrad: LGU, 1961. (In Russian)
- Kuznetsov B. I. Drevnii Iran i Tibet. Istoriia religii bon [Ancient Iran and Tibet. The History of the Bon Religion]. St. Petersburg: Evraziia, 1998. (In Russian)
- Mongush M. V. Uchitel’, otkryvshii mne Shambalu [Teacher, Who Opened Shambala to Me]. Mongolika, 2021, vol. XXIV, no. 2, pp. 26–30. (In Russian)
- Narmaev B. M. B. I. Kuznetsov — osnovopolozhnik otechestvennoi poslevoennoi tibetolgii [B. I. Kuznetsov is the Founder of the Domestic Post-War Tibetology]. Mongolika, 2021, vol. XXIV, no. 2, pp. 5–9. (In Russian)
- Stronach D. Pasargadae, Navel of the World. Iran Tribune, 1972, vol. VII, no. 97, pp. 13–15.
- Stronakh D.Pasargady, pup zemli[Pasargadae, Navel of the World]. Mongolika, 2021, vol. XXIV, no. 2, pp. 48–51. (In Russian)
- Syrtypova S.-Kh. D. O tvorcheskom nasledii B. I. Kuznetsova (1931–1985) ili poiski iranskogo sleda v tibeto-mongol’skom buddizme [About the Creative Heritage of B. I. Kuznetsov (1931–1985) or the Search for an Iranian Trace in Tibetan-Mongolian Buddhism]. Mongolika, 2021, vol. XXIV, no 2, pp. 15–25. (In Russian)
- Rgyal rabs gsal ba’i me long (The Clear Mirror of Royal Genealogies). Tibetan Text in Transliteration with an Introduction in English. Ed. by B. I. Kuznetsov. Leiden: Brill, 1966. (In Tibetan and English)
- Zorin A. Tibetan Studies in Russia: A Historical Sketch. Tokyo: The International Institute for Buddhist Studies, 2020.